What is rooftop organic farming?
As the name suggests Rooftop organic farming is an alternative form of Organic and natural farming which involves usage of fertilizers which are of organic origin and have no synthetic chemical in it. Manure, green manure and bone meal are mostly used that will not affect the pH level of the soil or make irreversible changes that are bad for nature. This farming mostly came into trend in the 20th century(1940s) when adverse effects of chemical fertilizers on nature was becoming noticeable. It includes practices like crop rotation, companion planting, biological pest control, mixed cropping and fostering of insect predators.
Short note on rooftop farming
As Rooftop farming discourages the usage of artificial fertilizers to maintain the fertility of soil and its nutrition quotient it is important that organic farming practice polyculture through crop rotation. This results in crop diversity. Involvement of better research and science ensures good quality and right soil and weed management in organic farming. The practice also helps in developing the soil quality of any area where it is practiced to grow crops.
Importance of Rooftop Organic farming
At times for bulk growth of crops some hormones are used which can prove to be harmful for for human beings and fatal for pregnant women. Industrial farming also lead to pollution, contamination of water, inception of cancer, degradation of soil and impact on domestic animals. All these issues can be avoided if chemical free farming methods are adopted. Here comes the importance of it.
In organic farming only organic fertilizers are allowed and no genetically modified organisms are permitted. Biodiversity and cycles adapted to local condition in this farming procedures indicate that balance of nature is not lost through extensive farming.
Advantages of rooftop farming
- Now a days commercial farming includes usage of chemical fertilizers and pesticides which prove to be some very potent poisons. They do irrecoverable damage and seep into the groundwater thereby spreading diseases at mass scale. There lies the advantage of rooftop organic farming as no such poison in permitted in this method and therefore hardly has any adverse effect.
- Rooftp Farming procedures may vary from place to place, so someone living in a tropical country may not get the same food item as a person living in a temperate region. But in pesticides free farming methods they are well regulated and growth of every crop plant is closely monitored thereby ensuring that quality of food all over remains same.
- It has been noticed that fruits and vegetables grown through organic methods are tastier and healthy loaded with nutrients compared to commercial farming products. The sugar structure in the crops gets proper time to develop and mature, thereby making the food delicious sweet and supple.Now a days we have totally lost that sweet taste of veggies which used to be there 30 to 40 years back. With Rooftop Farm, Terrace garden practices we can get that sweeter taste back into our life. These products are easily available with Rooftop farming kit along with the maintenance kit which makes rooftop farming easy and DIY
- There is no adverse effect on the environment in this whole process and this is very eco-friendly approach.
Rooftop Organic farming disadvantages
- Prices of organic food are high since this farming involves lot of organic inputs and time and patience. The farmer has to put in a lot of effort also.
- In organic farming crossbreeding happens which gives rise to new cultivars.